The Thomas Cole House (Cedar Grove) is now a National Historic Landmark. It includes the home and the studio of painter Thomas Cole, founder of the Hudson River School of American painting. Cole lived in the home and used the studios from 1833 through his death in 1848. The Old Studio served as Thomas Cole’s primary studio between 1839 and 1846.
Cole’s student Frederic Edwin Church became a close friend of the family and sketched much of Cedar Grove in 1848. Church’s Olana estate is across the river.